Laying out joinery on case sides

Jay Oyster's picture

Parent Project: 

My projects proceed at a glacial pace these days. A little update on the 'Adriana's Cabinet' project. Adriana is my wife. She wanted a jewelry cabinet. I started it early last Fall, and then things went South for awhile. I've finally gotten back to working on it again. Getting enough pieces of the creamy quarter sawn sycamore out of the rough lumber was a challenge, particularly for the larger case parts.

Laying out the tenons and dados on the case sides

But I finally did manage to glue up the panels for the sides, tops and bottom of the case over the Christmas holiday. Also managed to flatten the side panels after the glue up using the No8. This past weekend, I cut a bunch of case parts to close to the final dimensions and started working on the case side joinery. I have a Sketchup model of the whole thing, but getting the dimensions right for the sidewalls meant a paper drawing. That seems to be the only way I can get my mind around such complicated layouts with any confidence. So, at this point, I've got the top tenons cut on the case sides, and transferred the dimensions to one of the side panels. 

Note: I'm doing all of this on a makeshift workbench. My old crappy bench is sagging into a heap in the corner, and the new Roubo is only about 25% complete. So I'm working on this built in bench that was part of the house when we moved in. (I'll post the latest on the Roubo project in a separate post . . .)

Laying out case side tenons and dados
Laying out case side tenons and dados
Woodworking